Institute of Child & Human Development (ICHD) is a research/technical assistance organization set upby like-minded partners as a social enterprise to work in child development. It is a new organizationestablished in February 2012, but based on decades of experience and lessons from research andprofessional work of the partners.
The Institute focuses on improving the development of young children as well as children withdevelopment delays and special needs, for which affordable quality services are non-existent. Trainingof professionals in child development; affordable services with acceptable quality in specific aspects ofearly childhood development, such as parenting skills and tasks; counseling clinics for children andparents; and community-based initiatives for socialization and values development of children aresome of the critical needs identified in which ICHD expects to be engaged.
ICHD, in addressing these priorities noted, designs and conducts professional training and shortcourses, provides innovative demonstration projects for parents and children, and undertakesresearch initiatives to support evidence-based policy advocacy.
All children will enjoy childhood and have the opportunity to grow and develop to their full humanpotential. To this end, knowledge, research, policy and practice will be synthesized and used.Professionals, families, academic institutions, government bodies, communities and civil society willsupport and contribute to the holistic development of children.
ICHD's mission is to help develop the full potential and capacities of the person, by improving earlychildhood development opportunities and those for children with special needs – promoting oflife-cycle approach to mutually supportive interaction between early childhood development and laterstages of human development.
ICHD takes an interdisciplinary approach in setting and carrying out its key objectives in fulfillment ofits mission. The key objectives are reflected in the following major areas of activities:
- Provide and support Early Childhood Development (ECD) and selective Special Needs (SN) andHuman Development (HD) services, especially in a demonstration, action research andexperimental mode.
- Conduct or collaborate in research in ECD, SN and selected issues in Human Development.
- Engage in technical cooperation in service delivery, development and design of programs,development of learning and play materials and methods, development and use of assessmentand monitoring tools and methods and other activities and programs in ECD, SN and HD.
- Design and help implement academic programs in ECD and areas pertinent to a life-cycleapproach to HD, recognizing the interaction between early childhood and later stages of life aswell as the special needs of children with developmental delay.
- Develop and carry out training courses for professional development in ECD, SN and HD.
- Establish pilot sites for research, experimentation and demonstration in ECD, SN and HD.
- Engage in policy analysis, public policy and advocacy in respect of ECD, SN and HD.
Key Strengths of ICHD
ICHD is comprised of professional people who have deep understanding and expertise on Early Childhood Development. ICHD team is led by Dr. Manzoor Ahmed who is well-known in education sector in Bangladesh and beyond. The Executive Director, Ms. Mahmuda Akhter is one of the leading ECD experts in the country and she is widely known in her field. Besides, various global leaders in the field of Child Development are in the advisory board of ICHD. They are Dr. Cassie Landers, Associate Professor, Columbia University-USA; Dr. Faith Lamb-Parker, Senior Research Scientist at Bank Street College of Education, USA; Dr. Indrani Talagala, Former Head of the Department of Early Childhood and Primary Education of the Open University of Sri Lanka and Ms. Janet Jamieson, Chair of Community Services at Red River College in Winnipeg, Canada. ICHD has been developing its in-house operational team with young and talented people who are keen on child development.
To know more about ICHD, please visit www.ichdbd.org